Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Willis9's Best of 2008: The Music

Ever since the Native Americans invented music with drums made from clay and human flesh it has played an integral part in people stuff. Today's whirs and clicks are a far cry from what music began as, but I (an expert in all things that happen to be my opinion) now present what are in my opinion the best albums (I've listened to) released in 2008.


"The Dusty Foot Philosopher" - K'Naan

Yeah I know this album came out in Canada three years ago but it just made it to America this year so I'm happily including it on my list. This album combines hip-hop beats with world music and along with K'Naan's unique style make it easily one of the best rap albums of the year.

Choice Song - If Rap Gets Jealous


"The Quilt" - Gym Class Heroes

The Gym Class Heroes continue to translate their uptempo alt-hip-hop into success, and while this album isn't quite as good as their last it still ranks head and shoulders over most of the music put out this year.

Choice Song - Cookie Jar



"One of the Boys" - Katy Perry

This album may be girl power pop but Katy Perry does it better than anyone in recent memory. Not to mention being responsible for the catchiest damn single of the year. On a side note Katy Perry is hot, like real hot.

Choice Song - I Kissed A Girl



"Partie Traumatic" - Black Kids

Their debut album is packed full of songs that will be stuck in your head for days after listening. This is pop music at its best, energetic and catchy. Rolling Stone named the Black Kids one of their "Artists to watch" this year, and there is a reason for that.

Choice Song - I'm Not Gonna Teach Your Boyfriend How to Dance with You



"When Life Gives You Lemons, You Paint That Shit Gold" - Atmosphere

The beats and the lyrics are all top-notch, but what really sets this album apart is the rap duo's storytelling prowess. While the stories told are sad and can be a bit of a downer the music is excellent. Bonus points are given for the best album title of the year.

Choice Song - Yesterday



"Fight With Tools" - Flobots

If someone put a gun to my head and made me choose an overall best of the year album I would go with this one. The Flobots can be a tad preachy but their music is genre straddling and this album rates as the best of each genre that it touches this year.

Choice Song - Handlebars


"MC Chris is Dead" - MC Chris

Discover MC Chris. Listen to his music. Listen to this album. Do yourself a favor and go see him live. Hurry.

Choice Song - Nrrrd Grrrl


There are many albums I have yet to listen to that could probably make this list. 808's and Heartbreak comes to mind, maybe I'll update this later.

Lil Wayne sucks.

No comments: