Friday, March 6, 2009

Will Watchmen Translate?

The most celebrated graphic novel of all time is having it's movie adaptation released in theaters today, and leading up to this day I've often wondered whether Watchmen is capable of translating to the silver screen. Movies, and especially comic book movies, are driven by special effects and intense action sequences. The entirety of the Watchmen series contains only one action scene, and instead focuses it's time on character development and interaction. How can the movie match up to the storytelling accomplished in the book? Now I'm the only person I know of that flat out did not like Watchmen. I appreciated it for what it was, a rarity in comic story-telling at the time of its release, but everything from the snail-like pacing, eminently unlikeable characters, and the dour resolution left me with a bad taste in my mouth. The resolution of the story is really where the Watchmen movie will sink or swim, moviegoers expect their big screen heroes to ride off in the sunset at the end of each picture, that moment doesn't exist in Watchmen. I continue to hear that director Zack Snyder and company have changed the ending for the movie, but will it be enough? I loved 300 and I think Zack Snyder is an amazing director, but so many others before him claimed Watchmen to be unfilmable. Is it capable of making the leap from book to movie? In any event I will be seeing the film later today, and it will no doubt be a topic of discussion for this week's SpotCast.

No comments: