Friday, February 6, 2009

Give the Guy a Break


OH MY GOD WHAT IS HE DOING WHAT AN IDIOT MICHAEL PHELPS HAS BROUGHT THE DEVIL INTO OLYMPIC SWIMMING POOLS!!

I don't understand the media's need to demonize Phelps because of this photograph of him smoking marijuana. The guy has probably spent the majority of his life in a pool, training like a maniac so that he can continue to dominate the sport of swimming the way no one ever has before. He's young and he was cutting loose, it happens, it's not like he was holding a sign up to the camera (by the way who's the dick that took the picture and posted it on the net) that read "Hey kids it's Michael Phelps, smoke pot and you can be as badass as me." Look I get that as an athlete, and one with such massive national attention, he has a responsibility as a role model for kids, but this offense was not egregious enough to warrant the lambasting he has received at the hands of news outlets. Did he really need to be suspended? I've never been one of those people fervently arguing for the legalization of marijuana, but the fact that police in my town spend more time chasing around the guys with weed than hunting down the dozen or so meth labs in basements around here has always bothered me. Now the fact that Phelps has been branded a f***-up for one mistake will alwasy bother me.


Shameless Plug Time

Episode 2 of the SpotCast should be up later tonight so be sure to check that out as Tom Collins and I will definitely be discussing this story.

No comments: